Thursday, November 29, 2007

Bean and Bacon: the truth

Ok - so the other day tayson and i had a playdate. I decided to bring lunch so that our friends didn't feel inclined to provide. What i grabbed was a can of bean and bacon soup. I have  loved this soup ever since i can remember and have always considered it a hearty comfort food that everyone loves. The look on my friends face as presented her with the yummy lunch i brought to share made me think.- Is this soup a culture thing- a callister thing? She then said " well, i dont like it but maybe mcKay will" . He didn't. Come to think of it- the same thing happened  about a year ago with a different friend. Here is my question.. what is not to like about  this savory mix of beans, bacon, and an occasional carrot? Oh well. maybe i wont serve it to friends but bean and bacon soup will forever be a favorite nostalgic meal for me and mine. 

8 comments:

Daniel and Angie Callister said...

i love this soup and always have! even before i was a callister. in fact, it's just about the only kind of canned soup i like. i'd love to share a can with you anytime, rach. :)

Anonymous said...

Aunt Catherine says...HOORAY...there are more "beanies" out there! Isn't it great?!

Von and Maureen said...

I served this wonderful soup to you kids all the time because I loved it so much. When I was a little girl (4to6) I remember going to a friends house for lunch a few times and was served almost always this tasty soup. We never had it at our house--- don't know why? Do you remember eating it at home Catherine? I am sure it is super super good for you :) Mom

Annie and Jake Callister said...

Annie has a hard time understanding why I always want to buy this soup. I have a hard time understanding why she has a hard time... We had a break through a few months ago though. I had made some B&B(the gourmet kind, where you cut up a hot dog into it.....mmmm) anyway there was some extra, she reluctantly had it... and seemed to think it was OK. There is no need to apologize for the love of Beans, mingled with Bacon...(or something like it)

Jake

Daniel and Angie Callister said...

I remember Becky saying something about how you can't find B&B soup in stores in CT. Mom was buying some to send out to her. What kind of childhood is that!? Maybe they think it's weird that our kids won't eat minestrone or cream of........(fill in the blank). It was always my favorite growing up until I discovered the marvelous world of Cambell's Chicken Gumbo at about 17 or so.

-Dan
(I'm going to start signing these to end some confusion)

Annie and Jake Callister said...

Well,

B&B was very strange for me at first. What was hardest was getting past the initial "look" of the soup in the can and then the waft. But I admit, once it is warmed it is pretty dang tasty...weird, waxy congealed fat lumps and all.

Annie

Anonymous said...

I don't remember having it as a child...but we ARE pretty old, you know...I'm not sure beans had been invented yet...

Josh said...

I eat this soup straight from the can!! it is the best!! i will never understand how people don't like bean and bacon but love spaghetti -oh's (nasty!!)