Tuesday, March 18, 2008

There was an old woman




I almost cried when i opened the package that contained this book "There Was An Old Woman" retold by Steven Kellogg. I have been casually looking for this book for a long time. I found it for a steal on amazon. I have seen other versions of this story but the Steven Kellogg one is the one that i adored as a child. Reading through it again i remembered why. It is so funny. There is something endlessly hilarious about a crazy old woman who is giddy one moment and filled with wriggles the next. I think there will be a reprint of this book in the next few years- but i couldn't wait. Enjoy the pictures and the memories.-rach

2 comments:

Annie and Jake Callister said...

I totally remember that book Rach,

But I dont remember at all what it was about.Most vividly I remember the big horses who had to haul her into the arena... It would be fun to read it again.

Jake

Von and Maureen said...

I love this book!!!!!! We as a family have been looking for this book for a long time. It is a Callister classic. Jake, it is "the old women that swallowed a fly." she eats larger and larger animals to get rid of the wriggling inside of her untill she eats the huge Horse and "of coarse she died" It comes from an old song. It is great because Steven Kellogg does such a fun job with pictures. I will certainly keep looking for a copy of my own. thanks for sharing Rach. mom